Delhi Capitals finished third in 2019 under the leadership of Shreyas Iyer and in 2020 made it to their maiden IPL final where they lost to Mumbai Indians. The Delhi Capitals showered a good amount of their purse to buy young Indian talent in the first session of Day 2 at the mega auction.
They capped the U-19 World Cup-winning captain, Yash Dhull for 50 lakhs. There was not much bidding over the base price of 20 lakhs for Dhull as Delhi got him easy. He is a product of the Delhi Capitals academy.
On the other hand, T20 World Cup Winning squad member, David Warner found his way into the Delhi Squad as their first buy in the Mega Auction for 6.25 Cr. All-Rounder Shadul Thakur was snatched from Chennai Super Kings for a whopping 10.75 Cr.
They further bought a total of 19 players in the IPL Mega Auction 2022 keeping it a blend between young budding talents and some experienced campaigners. Apart from Warner, Mitchell Marsh is another Aussie that got his break into the DC squad. They were left with a purse of Rs 47 crore as they retained four key players ahead of the mega auction.
Purse Spent: Rs 89.90 Cr
Purse Remaining: Rs 10 Lakh
Players Retained ahead of Auction:
- Rishabh Pant (16 Cr)
- Axar Patel (9 Cr)
- Prithvi Shaw (7.5 Cr)
- Anrich Nortje (6.50 Cr)
Players Purchased in IPL 2022 auction:
- David Warner (Rs 6.25 crore)
- Mitchell Marsh ( Rs 6.50 crore)
- Shardul Thakur (Rs 10.75 crore)
- Mustafizur Rahman (Rs 2 crore)
- Kuldeep Yadav (Rs 2 crore)
- Ashwin Hebbar (Rs 20 lakhs)
- Sarfaraz Khan (Rs 20 lakhs)
- Kamlesh Nagarkoti (Rs 1.10 crore)
- KS Bharat (Rs 2 crore)
- Mandeep Singh (Rs 1.10 crore)
- Khaleel Ahmed (Rs 5.25 crore)
- Chetan Sakariya (Rs 4.2 crore)
- Yash Dhull (Rs 50 lakh)
- Ripal Patel (Rs 20 lakh)
- Rovman Powell (Rs 2.8 crore)
- Pravin Dubey (Rs 50 lakh)
- Lungi Ngidi (Rs 50 lakh)
- Tim Seifert (Rs 50 lakh)
- Vicky Ostwal (Rs 20 lakh)