On Saturday, the 15th edition of the Asia Cup cricket begins with an interesting match between Afghanistan and Sri Lanka in Dubai, UAE (August 27). The competition will be played in T20 format this time. The Group B match between AFG and SL will be televised live.
They were eliminated from the Super Four in the previous edition of the Asia Cup after coming third in their group behind Afghanistan and Bangladesh. And Dasun Shanaka’s team will seek to perform better this time.
Both Sri Lanka and Afghanistan appear to be conscious of their strengths as well as their weaknesses. Understanding how to utilise their abilities while minimising their weaknesses could be the key. The fact that this match comes with the added pressure of a round-robin/knockout tournament further adds to the spectacle.
The only country to compete in every Asia Cup
Sri Lanka is the only country to have competed in every Asia Cup since the tournament’s establishment in 1984.
They won it five times: in 1986, 1997, 2004, 2008, and 2014. (all in ODIs).
They are also runner-up in 1984, 1988, 1990, 1995, 2000, and 2010.
AFG vs SL Asia Cup 2022: Key figures you must know!
- Dasun Shanaka only needs one six to reach 50 maximums in T20Is.
- Charith Asalanka is three fours away from reaching 50 fours in T20Is.
- Najibullah Zadran needs two fours to reach 100 in T20 internationals.
- Pathum Nissanka is one game away from reaching 50 international appearances.
- Rahmanullah Gurbaz needs seven fours to reach 100 fours in all formats.
- Afghanistan will play its 100th T20 international game.
- Rashid Khan needs three wickets to overtake Tim Southee as the second-highest T20 international wicket-taker.
- Najibullah Zadran is 13 runs short of 1500 runs in T20Is.
Afghanistan vs Sri Lanka, T20I head-to-head record
Surprisingly, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka have only played one T20I match. Sri Lanka won the ICC T20 World Cup match by six wickets on March 16, 2016, at Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
- Afghanistan has played 99 T20Is in total, winning 66 and losing 33.
- Sri Lanka has played 159 games so far, with a 70-87 win-loss record. There were two no-result.