A living legend and an exceptional Bowler of his era Kapil Dev needs no introduction. The former Indian Captain was the pioneer of the 1983 World Cup win at Lords, England. He is the only cricketer to have scored more than 5000 runs and taken more than 500 wickets in Test Cricket. He held the record for most wickets taken in Test cricket with 434 scalps before his retirement in 1994.
Kapil Dev Ramlal Nikhanj was born in Chandigarh, East Punjab in 1959. He started his cricket journey playing for his state team of Haryana. Nicknamed as the “Haryana Hurricane” due to his fierce bowling he served his team with dedication.
Dev made his debut against Pakistan in 1978. He retired in 1994 and also served as the National coach of India from 1999 to 2000. Considered as one of the best all-rounders of the game he was inducted into the ICC Hall of fame and named as the Indian cricketer of the century by Wisden in 2002.
|Net Worth||$30 million (220 Crores)|
|Born||January 6, 1959|
|Country of Origin||India|
|Source of Wealth||Cricket, Brand Endorsements, Business Ventures|
Kapil Dev Net Worth
The Net Worth of Kapil Dev stands at $30 million roughly equivalent to Rs. 220 crores. Most of his income comes from cricket as he is a very respected player across the globe and a renowned media personality.
He does commentary in many international matches. Dev is also associated with various media channels as a cricket expert for pre and post-match analysis. He also earns a considerable sum of money endorsing multiple brands. He owns a chain of hotels and has stakes invested in multiple ventures which contribute to his net worth.
He is also a professional golf player which also adds to his Net worth value.
Kapil Dev Salary
Kapil Dev makes around 12 crores a year from his job as a match commentator, tv presenter, and media appearances.
Kapil Dev Endorsements
Being one of the most popular and recognizable players in the cricket fraternity Kapil Dev was approached for numerous brands due to his brand value. The Indian captain signed sponsorship deals with big companies such as AIPL ABRO, Palmolive, and Boost.
Kapil Dev recently appeared in an entertaining avatar for a commercial for the credit card payment app, Cred imitating Bollywood actor Ranvir Singh for his quirky dressing style.
Kapil Dev Social Media
Kapil Dev Cars
The “Haryana Hurricane” is an avid car lover and owns a fleet of world-famous luxury cars. An interesting fact about his cars is bearing the registration plates with digits “1983” which shows the significance 83′ World cup played in his life.
He has been spotted with around three of his cars bearing the number plate of “1983”.
Here is the list of top-notch luxury cars that he flaunts:
|Jeep Compass||Rs 24 Lacs|
|Mercedes Benz GLS 350d||Rs 70 Lacs|
|Porche Panamera||Rs 2.43 Cr|
|Toyota Fortuner||Rs 30-40 Lacs|
Kapil Dev Assets
- Dev has invested a 5% stake in Zicom Electronics.
- He also owns a chain of hotels and restraurants across India. A restraunt in Chandigarh and Patna as “Captain’s Eleven” and hotel in Chandigarh as “Kaptain’s Retreat Hotel”.
- Dev also has a stake in a company called Dev Musco Lighting Pvt Limited which deals in mounting flood lights in stadiums all over India.
- In 2015 he also invested his stake in SAMCO Ventures, the holding company of SAMCO Securities in 2015.
Kapil Dev House
With numerous properties to his name, Kapil Dev lives in his residence in Sundar Nagar in South Delhi. Located in a posh area of the capital it is just a kilometer away from the Delhi Golf Club and National Stadium. Its location makes it feasible for the all-rounder to cherish his love of golf being near to the golf club and the national stadium where he used to train.
Kapil Dev Career Stats
Batting and Fielding
|Test||131||434||2.78||9/83 v WI|
|ODI||225||253||3.71||5/43 v AUS|
|World Cup||25||28||3.76||5/43 v AUS|
Kapil Dev Achievements
|1983||Wisden Cricketer of the Year|
|2002||Wisden Indian Cricketer of the Century|
|2008||Honored as Lt. Colonel by the Indian Army|
|2008||ICC Cricket Hall of Fame|
|2013||CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award|
Kapil Dev Personal Life
|Full Name||Kapil Dev Ramlal Nikhanj|
|Known as||“Haryana Hurricane”|
|Date of Birth||January 6, 1959|
|Birthplace||Chandigarh, East Punjab|
|Parents||Father- Ram Lal Nikhanj|
Mother- Raj Kumari
|Wife||Romi Bhatia (m.1980)|
|Hobbies||Playing golf, squash, table tennis|
- Kapil Dev’s father Ram Lal Nikhanj was a famous timber merchant born in Dipalpur, Pakistan and his mother was from Pakpattan, Pakistan.
- At the time of partition, his family moved from Pakistan to Fazilka, Punjab.
- Dev has a vast family including four sisters and two brothers.
- He received his education from D.A.V School, Chandigarh, and later joined Desh Prem Azad Academy for cricket.
Kapil Dev Affairs
- Kapil Dev formerly dated famous Bollywood actress and Kamal Hassan’s ex-wife, Sarika.
- But as per reports and sources, the couple could not tie the knot as Kapil fell in love with Romi Bhatia.
- In 1979, Kapil met Romi at a party through a common friend and instantly fell in love with her beauty. The couple got married in 1980 and is living happily ever since.
- They both have a daughter together, Amiya born 16 Jan 1994.
Kapil Dev Contoversy
- Kapil Dev was allegedly accused of match-fixing by his former colleague Manoj Prabhakar during an ODI tournament in Sri Lanka in 1994.
- Dev being upset by his former teammates’ remarks openly criticized him during a press conference. After relentless pressure from politicians and higher authorities, Dev resigned as the Head Coach of India in September 2000
- After a probe from the CBI, Kapil was relieved of all the charges.
- In 2016, Kapil Dev and Romi Bhatia came under the Income tax scanner for allegedly buying shares of a company at a heavily discounted rate for 6 cr while the actual book value of shares was calculated to be 32 cr.
Kapil Dev Unknown Facts
- Kapil Dev did not play cricket till the age of 13. One day his school team was short of one player for a cricket match, Kapil was roped in the team incidentally.
- On the advice of Sunil Gavaskar, he changed his bowling for more closer to the stumps making his outswingers more effective and lethal
- He became the youngest player at 21 in cricket to have completed 200 wickets and 1000 runs in test cricket
- An interesting fact of his long carer of 184 innings he was never run out.
- Throughout his career he never missed a test match due to injury or fitness reasons.
- Kapil Dev also made his cameo appearances on the silver screen from Bollywood movies like “Iqbal”, “Chain Khuli ki Main Khuli”, “Mujhse Shaadi Karogi”
- Dev also features three autobiographies “By God’s Decree” -1995, “Cricket my Style”- 1987, “Straight from the Heart”- 2004.
- In 2019 a Bollywood film “83′ ” was announced which is based on the life of Kapil Dev portrayed by Bollywood actor, Ranvir Singh following Dev’s journey and the infamous World Cup win in 1983.
FAQs about Kapil Dev
A. Romi Bhatia
A. As of 2021 he is 62 years old.
A. Amiya Dev, born 16 Jan 1996
A. 6ft (1.83m)
A. She is working as an Assistant director to Kabir Khan for the 83′ biopic.