Who is Eoin Morgan?
Eoin Morgan is one of the most prominent batsmen of the modern-day Cricket. He happens to be the Captain of the England Cricket Team in White Ball Cricket.
The Irish-born Cricketer is a right-hand batsman who has represented England in ODIs and T20s. He also plays for Middlesex County. It was under the Captainship of Eoin Morgan that England finally went on to win its maiden World Cup in 2019.
Before he started playing for the English Team, he was a member of the Ireland side. Morgan has the rare distinction of hitting the One-Day century for two countries.
Morgan has got impeccable abilities to hit balls outside the boundary ropes during death overs. And that’s why he is also known as the ‘finisher’ who can play reverse sweep shot with excellence.
The full name of Eoin Morgan is Eoin Joseph Gerard Morgan, and he was born on 10 September 1986.
Eoin Morgan was appointed as the Skipper of the England Cricket Team for the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup. It happened after Alastair Cook was removed as the Captain. Morgan had earlier experience of leading England in T20s and ODIs.
As of December 2019, Eoin Morgan is England’s all-time highest run-scorer. He has also played the most number of games for England in One Day Internationals.
The other record that he holds is scoring the fastest 50 for England. In the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, Eoin hit the highest number of maximums in an ODI inning – 17 sixes Vs Afghanistan!
Eoin Morgan Wiki
Eoin Morgan Wiki includes all the basic information like Eoin Morgan age, full name, height, date of birth & more. Eoin’s date of birth is 10th September 1986, he is 34 Years old. Morgan’s height in feet is around 5’ 8” & he weighs around 65 kgs.
|Full name||Eoin Joseph Gerard Morgan|
|Nickname||Moggie, the ‘finisher’|
|Date of Birth||10th September 1986|
|Age||34 Years (in 2020)|
|Place of Birth||Dublin, Ireland|
|Nationality||Irish & English|
|School||Catholic University School, Dublin, Ireland|
|College||Dulwich College, Dulwich, London (Dropout)|
Eoin Morgan Family
Eoin Morgan was born on 10 September 1986 in Ireland’s Dublin. Eoin Morgan’s family consists of his father, mother, 3 sisters, 2 brothers, wife & his son. His father’s name is Jody Morgan and his mother’s name is Olivia Morgan. He also has two sisters who are Gwen Morgan and Laura Morgan. The England Captain’s family is a big one with 3 brothers as well. They are Gareth Morgan, Evan Morgan, and Gavin Morgan. He completed his graduation in London’s Dulwich College. Morgan tied the knot with his girlfriend, Tara Ridgway on 03rd November 2018. Eoin morgan wife’s name is Tara Ridgway. On 9th March 2020, they were blessed with a baby boy.
|Sister||Laura Morgan, Gwen Morgan|
|Brother||Gareth Morgan, Gavin Morgan, Evan Morgan|
|Marriage Date||03rd November 2018|
Eoin Morgan Biography
Eoin Morgan Career Overview
|2006||20||ODI debut against Scotland for Ireland|
|2007||21||Joined England Lions|
|2009||23||T20I debut against the Netherlands for England|
|2010||24||Test debut against Bangladesh for England|
|2010||24||Joined Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB)|
|2011||25||Joined the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR)|
|2014||28||Named England Cricket Team’s captain|
|2015||29||Joined the Sunrisers Hyderabad|
|2017||31||Joined Peshawar Zalmi|
|2018||32||Joined Karachi Kings|
|2019||33||Won the ICC World Cup 2019|
Eoin Morgan played for Irish as well England Teams and scored tons for both nations. He moved to the English Team in 2009.
Morgan was made the Captain of the England Team at a turbulent time. The sad thing was that he was given only 2 months to represent the side in 2015 WC. But the good thing was that he was not sacked later. Selectors had faith in him. And he delivered it with interest 4 years later by winning the first WC for England in 2019.
Eoin Morgan Cricket Career
Morgan was only 20 when he was signed by Middlesex in 2006. He scored his first century for the County Team in 2018. He brought his century in 250 deliveries and achieved the feat on 5 July 2008. In 2018’s Twenty20 competition, he played a significant part in helping Middlesex winning the Trophy. He displayed his qualities by leading the Middlesex to a famous win Vs Kent in the County Championship.
Eoin Morgan began his International Cricket career by representing the National Team of Ireland. He played his debut match Vs Scotland on 5 August 2006. Morgan was just 1 short of a debut ton. Nonetheless, his first ODI ton came against Canada on 4 February 2007 in Nairobi. In 2007, Ireland picked him to play in the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup.
After having a good outing with Ireland, Eoin Morgan wanted to play Test Cricket. But Ireland was not a Test-playing country yet. So he joined England Lions in 2007. He went on to play Vs sides like Windies and South Africa. After a hiatus, Morgan was able to make his Test debut Vs Bangladesh in 2010.
Eoin played his first T20 International in 2009 Vs Netherlands. Morgan has managed to stick around being one of the most consistent members of the England T20 side.
Eoin Morgan IPL Career
During the 2010 edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), Eoin Morgan played his first game. Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) shelled $220,000 to sign him at the Auction. But in whatever chances that he got, he could not make an impression. He went to the Auction again due to this. This time, it was the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) who picked him up at an astronomical $350,000.
He did not play the 2014 edition owing to national duties Vs the Island Nation. Then, Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) signed him at $150,000 on his return in 2015. But in the 2017 IPL, Kings XI Punjab managed buying him for Rs.2 crore. In 2020 IPL Auction, KKR again signed him for ₹ 5.25 Crores.
Other T20 Leagues Career
Eoin Morgan has also been a part of the Pakistan Super League (PSL). He represented Peshawar Zalmi in the 2017 PSL. But he joined Karachi Kings the next year after being picked up at $140,000.
For the first edition of the Mzansi League, Morgan joined Tshwane Spartans in October 2018.
Eoin Morgan Salary
Eoin Morgan gets a salary of INR 2.56 crore from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB). Here is a breakdown of Morgan’s salary provided by ECB.
|Base Salary||£1 million|
|Contract Type||White Ball|
IPL is another major source of income for Morgan. In 2020, KKR signed him for a whopping Rs 5.25 Crore in the IPL auctions. Morgan has earned around ₹ 165,022,800 from IPL till now. Here are the breakdown of Eoin’s IPL earnings.
|2020||Kolkata Knight Riders||₹ 5,25,00,000|
|2017||Kings XI Punjab||₹ 2,00,00,000|
|2016||Sunrisers Hyderabad||₹ 1,50,00,000|
|2015||Sunrisers Hyderabad||₹ 1,50,00,000|
|2013||Kolkata Knight Riders||₹ 1,86,44,500|
|2012||Kolkata Knight Riders||₹ 1,75,94,500|
|2011||Kolkata Knight Riders||₹ 1,61,00,000|
|2010||Royal Challengers Bangalore||₹ 1,01,83,800|
|Total||Total Earnings||₹ 16,50,22,800|
Eoin Morgan Social
Eoin is very active on social media these days & he has a ton of following there. Morgan’s Instagram account has 567K Followers & the Eoin Morgan Twitter account has 678K. He has over 1.2M followers on Instagram and Twitter combined.
Eoin Morgan Social Account Details–
|Eoin Morgan Instagram||567K||https://www.instagram.com/eoinmorgan16/|
|Eoin Morgan Twitter||678K||https://twitter.com/Eoin16|
Eoin Morgan Stats
Now we take a look at Morgan’s Cricket Stats consisting of his major cricket stats & cricket Milestones achieved by him in his career. Here we have all the Eoin Morgan Stats including his career statics, batting career summary & all his basic cricket information. Eoin Morgan’s jersey number in all formats is 16.
|Batting Style||Left Handed Bat|
|Bowling style||Right-arm medium|
|Eoin Morgan Jersey number||#16 (England) #7 (Middlesex CCC)|
|Teams for which he played||England, Ireland, England Lions, Middlesex, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Kolkata Knight Riders, England Cricket Board XI, Sydney Thunder, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Peshawar Zalmi, Kings XI Punjab, Durban Qalandars, Barbados Tridents, Karachi Kings, World XI, Tshwane Spartans, Kerala Knights, Dublin Chiefs, Delhi Bulls|
ICC Batting Rankings
Eoin Morgan’s Career Statistics
|Test debut||vs Bangladesh at Lord’s, May 27, 2010|
|Last Test||vs Pakistan at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Feb 03, 2012|
|ODI debut||vs Scotland at Cambusdoon New Ground, Aug 05, 2006|
|Last ODI||vs South Africa at The Wanderers Stadium, Feb 09, 2020|
|T20 debut||vs the Netherlands at Lord’s, Jun 05, 2009|
|Last T20||vs South Africa at SuperSport Park, Feb 16, 2020|
|IPL debut||vs Kolkata Knight Riders at Eden Gardens, Mar 14, 2010|
|Last IPL||vs Rising Pune Supergiant at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, May 14, 2017|
Morgan’s Batting Career Stats
Eoin Morgan Records
- Eoin Morgan is the first Cricketer to hit a first-class double hundred while playing for Ireland – he made 209 Not Out Vs United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Morgan is the only batsman in the history of the game to being dismissed for 99 in his debut game in ODI.
- The England Captain is the 3rd youngest player to score a ton in ODI Cricket from being from non-subcontinent.
Eoin Morgan Unknown facts
- Morgan went on to win 3 Senior Cup Titles during his school days and while representing his school side.
- During his earlier days, he used to play Hurling twice in a week. He did that to hone his skills being a batter, especially the gripping and reverse sweep. Morgan is now a Pro while playing the reverse sweep to perfection.
- Eoin Morgan hogged the limelight when he emerged as the higher scorer at the Under-19 World Cup while playing for Ireland.
- Morgan is the first batsman in the history of the game to be dismissed for 99 in the first ODI match.
- His World Cup debut for England came on 11 March 2011. He was only the 4th player to have played differently for 2 nations at the World Cups.
- Morgan was the only England player to have grabbed a contract in the IPL. RCB signed him up for a massive $220,000.
Eoin Morgan Controversies
- In September 2016, being the Captain of the England Cricket Team, Morgan did not Tour Bangladesh due to terrorist attacks.
- His saying ‘No’ to touring Bangladesh did not go down well with one of the former Captains of England. And he was accused of letting the country down. The decision of Morgan was labeled as ‘pathetic’ by English journalist Piers Morgan. And he also wanted him to be removed from the post of the Skipper.
- Morgan also became the victim of a high-profile controversy unintentionally. He was blackmailed over email with having a fling with the Australian women for £35,000. Her partner alleged that Morgan exchanged ‘sexual content’ with her over messages. Police traced the email to Nick Emery. He was found to being a ‘Safety Consultant’ in Australia’s Hobart. He happened to the finance of the ex-girlfriend of Morgan – Brooke Tsakirakis. He was let go after a warning after he apologized. But Morgan’s ex-girlfriend denied having any connection with the entire ruckus.
- Morgan also has been criticized on many occasions. It has been for not singing the National Anthem of England before the beginning of a game.